Saturday 14 October 2017

Roasted Cherry Tomato, Garlic & Red Onion Comfit


Andrew's mother Verna recently gave me some beautiful red and yellow cherry tomatoes that she grew.   They were sweet and perfect to eat in their raw state but I decided to make the last of them into jars of comfit along with some red onions and garlic. 

The roasting and caramelizing of tomatoes, garlic and red onions in extra-virgin olive oil makes them quite delicious.

In this case I simply cleaned the cherry tomatoes, placed them in a roasting dish and sprinkled them with celery salt, black pepper, finely diced fresh chives and a generous amount of extra-virgin olive oil, then roasted them in the oven for about 25 minutes at 180C (about 350F). 

I peeled and cut into pieces (about the size of a man's thumb) 6 red onions, then peeled around 30 cloves of garlic which I left whole.  I sprinkled these with the same mixture of celery salt, black pepper, chives and olive oil and then cooked them at the same temperature for about 50 minutes (till they seemed nicely caramelized).

Using a sterilized spoon I layered the tomatoes and then the red onions and garlic alternatively into sterilized jars. 

I mixed some more olive oil in with the remaining juices in the pans and used this liquid to top up the jars so that all of the tomatoes, red onions and garlic was well covered before I applied sterilized lids.  They are now safely in my fridge where they should keep for several weeks. 

Next time I will add some balsamic vinegar but for now I am more than satisfied with the result and it was so easy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment